Childhood MemeTue Aug 30, 2005 Miss Vicky
This meme arrived during my vacation, via Miss Twiss.
Five things I miss about childhood:
1. Wonder. You know, that capacity to be amazed, not just at extraordinary things, but at even the most mundane. I don't think I feel wonder the way I used to. Cynicism seems to have taken over.
2. Imagination. That capacity to pretend, the easy creativity. I used to be able to play make-believe for hours, write long stories and act 'em out. Now it seems so damned hard to be creative, like pulling well-established weeds out of an untended garden when it hasn't rained for a month.
3. The joy of silliness. I still get glimmers of this now and then -the ability to be ridiculous and just not care. But I only allow it to emerge in very safe situations. Those who know me well have seen my really silly side; the rest of you have no idea. And that's probably a good thing.
4. Possibility. When I was a kid I thought I could do anything, be anything. Everyone was a potential friend, the world was open and the future could be whatever I wanted it to be. What a betrayal it felt like when I discovered that people could be mean to you or not like you for absolutely no fault of your own, when errors began to have consequences, when doors began to shut and overwhelming obstacles emerged. Suddenly hope and optimism and possibility became flickering moments of brightness rather than constant shiny reality.
5. Energy. Remember when you could run and play all day and not feel tired, until you conked out in your parent's arms and slept like a log until you woke up, leapt out of bed and started it all over again? God I miss that.
who to tag, who to tag..... how about accidental altruist, pinklitva (who has a shiny new blog) and pamused?